NCCoE Learning Series Fireside Chat: Rethinking Pathways Into Cybersecurity and Privacy Careers
NCCoE Learning Series Webinar
Date/Time: Thursday, October 21, 2021 | 3 p.m. EDT Duration: 30 minutes plus Q&A Technical Level: Foundational
You don’t need a “traditional” background in technology to have a career in cybersecurity or privacy. Both are complex, the problems are large, and the solutions require contributions from a workforce with a diverse set of skills and experiences.
During this fireside chat in recognition of Cybersecurity Career Awareness Week and Cybersecurity Awareness Month, attendees will meet four cybersecurity and privacy professionals who work at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and who have vastly different training and career pathways, including from the fields of: psychology, English, education, and computer science. We’ll explore how they got into the field, the challenges and rewards, advice for a successful career in cybersecurity and privacy, and much more.
We will reserve 15 minutes at the end of the webinar for questions.
Fireside Chat Participants:
- Davina Pruitt-Mentle, Lead for Academic Engagement, National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE)
- Gema Howell, Computer Scientist, Applied Cybersecurity Division, National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE)
- Katie Boeckl, Privacy Risk Strategist with the Privacy Engineering Program
- Susanne Furman, Cognitive Scientist in the Visualization and Usability Group
- Daniel Eliot, Senior Communications and Outreach Strategist, NCCoE